Yet Another Travel Planning Post: UK Edition
Here we go again. Another trip. Another round of “what gear do I pack?” I will be spending a week in the north of the UK around the Sheffield and York area. I want to travel lightly but also be prepared for multiple possibilities. The main focus of this trip won’t be photography so, for the sake of my wife, I need to keep things simple and casual.
Here is (at this point) my minimal(ish) kit:
- Fujifilm X-T20 – I have to justify this new purchase so it has to come along.
- Fujinon XF 27mm f/2.8– My favorite travel/walkabout lens. Pared with the X-T20 it is almost non-existent.
- Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 – While the 35mm is relatively close in focal length to the 27mm, I just like this lens too much to leave it behind. There is some kind of magic in it.
- Fujifilm X70 – This camera is my travel buddy. It was the only cam I took with me to Peru and I did just fine with it. In all honesty, this is all I need to take to the UK as well.
- UltraPod II Lightweight Tripod – Even my Sirui T-005 Travel Tripod is more than I want to take with me, so the UltraPod II is it. Weighing practically nothing, and used in conjunction with the X-T20 and X70’s articulated LCD, the UltraPod II is more than sufficient for working low to the ground and grabbing those long exposures.
- Domke F-803 Satchel with Post Office Shoulder Pad – My favorite bag and the shoulder pad really does increase the comfort by distributing the weight nicely.
- Wasabi and EforTek chargers and extra batteries.
- Vizeri Tactical Flashlight because, well, the dark.
- Smattering of filters including polarizer, ND, infrared and lens cloth.
I should really pare my gear way back and just take the X70 or the X-T20 / 27mm combo and keep the photography aspect of this holiday simple, casual, and disciplined. In the end I may. But for now I have to cycle through the possibilities. Left behind are the 14mm, 18-55, and 55-200 lenses.